...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Monday, July 07, 2003
      ( 10:47 AM )
 
Can a General be Drafted?

Let's hope so. Here it is, fresh off the presses, the new interview with General Wesley Clark. Looks like he's publicly considering a candidacy. He's got a large and growing grassroots movement behind him already, including meetups across the country. Here's a tidbit from the General:

To me, it’s really about the issues. I saw it
starting to go wrong before the [2000] election.
I met with Condi Rice. She told me she believed
that American troops shouldn’t be keeping the
peace—they were the only ones who could kill
people and conquer countries, and that’s what
they should be focused on doing. What she was
telling me [was] that she, as a potential Republican
national-security adviser, didn’t support our
engagement in Europe. So I saw it going wrong from
there. Then, as the administration took office, I saw
more and more what I believed were misunderstandings
and missed opportunities.


[...]

The world expects something more of an American
president than to prance around on a flight deck
dressed up like [a] pilot. He’s expected to be a leader.
That’s my fundamental issue with it. It doesn’t reflect
the gravitas of the office. Furthermore, it’s a little phony.


Hmm... wonder why any of the rest of our "opposition party" in Congress couldn't manage to utter a simple truth like this? Here's hoping a Clark candidacy will re-energize the party soon.

| -- permanent link