...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Monday, February 21, 2005
      ( 9:14 AM )
 
R.I.P.

The great, fearless, brilliant Hunter S. Thompson died by his own hand this weekend. His life was so...large. Talk about quality over quantity. I was a child when he was in his heyday, but reading Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail just last year, it was obvious he was way ahead of his time - or at least he was far more in touch with truth than the rest of the country. His keen ability to point out the absurd in our political system, I thought, was one of his greatest gifts: "In a country ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile."

Rest in Peace, HST. I close with his own words, though he is endlessly quotable, I like this one as eulogy:

"Call on God, but row away from the rocks. "


For more and better, check out Digby today.


| -- permanent link