...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Thursday, March 20, 2003
      ( 10:40 AM )
 
The Day After
I have avoided blogging most of this morning, just not knowing really what to say. I've taken a whirlwind tour around the blogging world and see that several folks are trying to blog on as usual and not be obsessed with the war. Some people are continuing to comment, or to track what's going on. Some people are just silent and haven't said anything today. I think all are good responses. It's nice to have variety to read - it keeps one from feeling such a weight.

I did note that Jack found the words to one of my favorite Randy Newman songs, Political Science. It was sort of weird reading through it though - thinking about how it always used to make me laugh.

Also reminded me of the old Kingston Trio's Merry Minuet:

They’re rioting in Africa (whistling)
They’re starving in Spain (whistling)
There’s hurricanes in Flo-ri-da (whistling)
And Texas needs rain ---
The whole world is festering with unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch
AND I DON’T LIKE ANYBODY VERY MUCH!!
But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For man’s been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud
And we know for certain that some lovely day
Someone will set the spark off
AND WE WILL ALL BE BLOWN AWAY!!
They’re rioting in Africa (whistling)
There’s strife in Iran
What nature doesn’t so to us
Will be done by our fellow "man"

I read with a mixture of sadness and frustration Ampersand's comments on Rachel Corrie. It wasn't the comments themselves that frustrated and saddened me, just the situation. Take a minute to read her words today to remind yourself what it really means to be a hero.

And from Jeanne - 198 Methods of Non-Violent Action. Use one today. Right now, I'm leaning towards #30.

Saw Eric Alterman on Jon Stewart's Daily Show the other night. It was probably one of the most refreshing and intelligent talk show interviews he's done, I would bet. Anyway, he identifies the current hypocrisy (via a 1999 Slate article) pretty cogently, as summarized by mwowwww.







| -- permanent link