...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Thursday, July 31, 2003
      ( 11:39 AM )
 
Skills Training

No computer access yesterday. Spent all day in a seminar on how to be better at a job that I don't really want to have. It was sort of an odd feeling - the internal emotional conflict going on inside me, while all the time being semi-interested in the stuff I was learning. I want to be good at my job. But this wasn't going to be my job - I'd been accepted to grad school to get a Masters in Teaching when the economy went into the toilet and our household economy shifted to match. So while my husband does the job search thing day in and day out, and I work in a career field that I am thankful to have because it pays the bills and provides health coverage for my child, neither of us is pursuing what we were educated for or what we wanted to do in life, and our family just struggles to get by.

Perhaps the first thing Congress should do when they all come back from vacations most of us would kill to get, is enact a Resolution that states clearly: "in accordance with the proven records and history of this country, we now declare that the idea of the "American Dream" was a falsehood launched on the psyches of American working people that will never come true. So "pulling yourselves up by the bootstraps"...ha ha, only joking!" ...or something like that.

| -- permanent link