...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Tuesday, April 05, 2005
      ( 2:05 PM )
 
I'm Back

My infrequent posting and then total disappearance the last few weeks is over. I have returned to blogging. I have probably lost some readers and though I thought about putting up a short explanation of why I wasn't posting, I just didn't want to go near the blog. I got so incredibly fed up with what was happening in our country and in the news, I simply didn't want to comment. I tried at first to talk about other things besides Terry Schiavo, but it became overwhelming -- it was all that anyone would talk about anywhere on the news, on the radio, in the paper. I just simply felt weary trying to shout against the wind. And then, on Palm Sunday when Congress and the President decided to conduct their midnight moratorium on federalism and the separation of powers, I just lost it. I could not believe that this had been allowed to happen right in front of us and no one seemed concerned. I just decided to take a break. It's extremely frustrating to me that Tom DeLay and his ilk continue to betray the values this Republic was based on and that there is no power that is willing to stop this spiral.

But I'm back now. There are voices in the wilderness. Even my own students recognize the ridiculous - they can tear apart NCLB without any help from an adult, they can argue very convincingly for the right to vote if they pay taxes because they work, they can see that the politicians care more about money than anything else. It's time for the adults in this country to start acting like adults. How can we even attempt to raise children if we're not fighting for the world they deserve to grow up in? Anyway, I just needed a break from it all. Mental health sabbatical. It's good to be back.

| -- permanent link