...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Monday, September 15, 2003
      ( 1:56 PM )
 
Soundtrack

I don't know if anyone caught the Harkin Steak Fry speeches on CSpan this weekend. All in all, mostly the same stump speeches. I was more impressed with the attendees, braving what looked uber-gross weather. But what really lingers for me was that when Clinton was done with his speech, immediately "We Are Family" started playing on the loudspeakers, and all the candidates and Clinton and Harkin held hands - lovely lovely. Then as Clinton descended to the rope line and people flung themselves at him like he was Jesus ("heal my baby, Bill!"), the song changed to a country song about the Heartland. Appropriate, I thought, for an Iowa event. Then, the third song came on as Clinton finished up the rope line and everyone started tromping through what looked like foot-deep mud to go home: "Don't Fear the Reaper." Hmm. Interestingly ironic choice of music. What I can't help wondering was it on purpose for addicted CSpan viewers like me, or just sort of happened that way? Or have I just gotten too obsessed with politics and am reading waaayyy too much into things?

| -- permanent link