...I'm okay with being REALITY-based.




Monday, April 21, 2003
      ( 12:34 PM )
 
Award for Worst Easter Homily

P and the Kid were sick all weekend, though the Kid wasn't too bad. So he and I went to my mom and dad's church with them for easter. Now, just as an update, my mom and dad are evangelicals. They are definitely NOT on the total fundie side of things, but they are definitely conservative. I grew up in this world and made some indpendent choices in my 20's and haven't been back since. I didn't mind going to church, it was nice on Easter Sunday. Though their church is like attending a tent revival, complete with rock and roll choruses instead of hymns, you get the picture. I did sort of miss the traditional, reverent view of Easter, but oh well - out with the old, in with the new, right? What sort of made me uncomfortable was this line in the preacher's sermon:

"Like our courageous soldiers in Iraq, Jesus wants to invade your heart. But unlike our soldiers, Jesus wants to be an occupying force - he wants to set up an occupation in your heart."

Needless to say, I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and started letting my mind wander. Can't you just picture Franklin Graham printing this phrase on the leaflets he hands out with his "humanitarian" aid in Iraq? Yikes.

Jesus loves me, this I know....

| -- permanent link